Saturday, September 19, 2009

What's Cuter than a Miniature Horse?


A miniature SADDLE, of course!


I wrote about my fantastic find at the state fair, in my last post, so thought I would share my progress getting my mini to actually wear it. Ha.


I have been clicker training Mukluk lately, for all kinds of things but working up to some tricks and jumping. So, to get him started with the saddle, we got some Honey Comb cereal, the clicker, and his winter blanket. I had not tried the blanket on him yet, so it was a good place to start.


We clicked and treated him for touching the blanket with his nose, having it brushed by him, and eventually put on him. He did just great! So the next thing was his little saddle blanket. Same thing..we clicked him and gave him the cereal for each motion he made, first touching the blanket, then having it close to him, and then on his back. He didn't care, he just wanted his Honey Combs!


After those two things had gone succesfully, we were ready to move on to the saddle. Its a bit heavy, and he has never had anything on his back before now, so I wasn't sure how he would do. He barely flinched at all! He touched it, sniffed it a tiny bit, then reached back out for his treat. I settled the tiny saddle on his back, timed it for just two minutes, then removed it. Of course I did not cinch up any straps or anything. That step will wait for a few more days, maybe even a week.


But LOOKIE! Its on his back! I'm so proud of my little Mucky-Boy.


1 comment:

Wingnut said...

I've bought the clicker. I've bought sugar cubes. But I haven't started the training. I guess I just need to get out there and do it!